Dermatology Diseases and Symptoms
. . . care beyond the surface
At KMC Dermatology, we strongly believe that the more you know about your own health, the better you will be able to take care of yourself. Our medical staff knows we aren’t just treating a condition, we are taking care of you. To the right of this page, you will find links to a listing of common dermatological conditions and other helpful links that may help you learn more about your health. We want to be sure that you are armed with the information you need to take care of yourself day in and day out.
- ACNE: a skin condition which has plugged pores (blackheads and whiteheads), inflamed pimples (pustules), and deeper lumps (nodules).
- ATHLETE’S FOOT: a form of fungus infection on the feet commonly referred to as tinea pedis.
- COSMETIC REACTIONS: an allergic/irritant reaction occurring on the skin due to a cosmetic product.
- DRY SKIN: usually a long-term problem that recurs often, especially in the winter months.
- ECZEMA TREATMENT: an allergic condition that affects the upper layers of the skin. Another name for eczema is dermatitis. Dermatitis is inflammation, dryness and recurring skin rashes which are characterized by one or more of these symptoms: redness, skin edema (swelling), itching and dryness, crusting, flaking, blistering, cracking, oozing, or bleeding.
- POISON IVY: Information on the prevention and treatment of the itching and painful rashes associated with contact of the oil called urushiol that is found in these poisonous plants.
- PSORIASIS: an inflammatory skin condition.
- ROSACEA : a chronic disease which usually first appears as subtle reddening on the face.
- SCABIES: an infestation of the skin with the microscopic mite Sarcoptes scabei.
- SKIN CANCER/MELANOMA: principal cause of skin cancer is almost universally accepted by medical experts to be overexposure to sunlight, especially when it results in sunburn and blistering.
- URTICARIA: hives or pink swellings called wheals that may occur in groups on any part of the skin.
- WARTS: growths on the skin or mucous membranes and are caused by a viral infection of the outer layer of skin (the epidermis).